※ Taxes will be deducted from prize money in accordance with Korean tax laws.
17th (Sat.) July 2021 at 24:00 (KST)
Beginning of September 2021 (TBA)
9th (Tue.) November 2021
10th (Wed.) November 2021 Orchestra studio, N Studio
12th (Fri.) November 2021 Concert Hall, Seoul Arts Center
14th (Sun.) November 2021 Concert Hall, Seoul Arts Center
a. The competition is open to conductors of all nationalities who are at least 23 years and maximum 34 years of age. Therefore, applicants must be born after 11th November 1986 and before 10th November 1998.
b. The official language of the competition is Korean and English. All candidates are required to have basic English speaking and understanding skills.
Bank name Woori Bank
Bank addressWoori bank, Seocho - Nam branch 22 Banpodaero, Seoul, Korea
Account number 414-309694-13-002
Account nameKorean Symphony Orchestra
a. A high-quality profile photograph which has been taken within the last 3 years (in JPEG format)
※ A photograph should be copyright free.
b. A copy of the applicant’s passport or ID card (in JPEG or PDF format)
c. Certificates or transcripts of awards or work records (in JPEG or PDF format)
d. A recommendation letter by the current or recent teacher of applicants (in JPEG or PDF format)
e. Videos: Performance videos must contain symphonic or orchestral works with the instrumentation of doubled winds and brass (max. 3 pieces).- Videos should not be edited.
- Videos should not be older than 3 years.
- Each video should contain one composition or movement which is over 10 minutes in length.
- Video should show the applicants conducting an orchestra from the front.
- Video and audio should be high-quality.
- Links to YouTube and Vimeo will be only accepted.
- The applicant must provide the recorded date, place and program of repertoire for each video.
※ DVD, USB or memory card etc. that has been submitted by mail/courier or in-person is not admissible as competition entries.
※ If necessary, additional information may be requested.
※ If applicants do not receive a confirmation of their subscription within 10 days after the application deadline, please contact the KSO ICC secretariat.
a. First round (max. 20 min.)
- A maximum of 12 candidates will be accepted to perform in the first round.
- Candidates will need to complete the onsite registration on 9th (Tue.) November 2021, where the sequence of contest and the selection of repertoire will be decided by drawing lots. Deviation from the determined order and the repertoire will not be permitted.
b. Second round (max. 20 min. for contemporary composition & max. 25 min. for concerto)
- The second round is divided into two parts: an obligatory contemporary composition by a Korean composer and an obligatory concerto
1) For an obligatory contemporary composition by a Korean composer: A maximum of 7 candidates will advance to the second round.
2) For an obligatory concerto : After performing the contemporary composition, a maximum of 5 candidates will be selected to perform the concerto.
※ The sequence of contest will be the same as the first round.
- A total of 3 candidates will advance to the final.
- The repertoire and the sequence of contest will be determined by drawing lots, shortly after the announcement of the finalists. Deviation from the determined repertoire will not be permitted, yet the determined order can be changed in consideration of the program and orchestration.
- The final will be held in the form of a concert.
- The finalists will be able to have two rehearsals with the orchestra.
1) 80 minutes rehearsal on the day before the final (Orchestra studio, N Studio)
2) 40 minutes of on-stage rehearsal before the final (Concert Hall, Seoul Arts Center)
a. The KSO ICC secretariat will provide designated accommodation for candidates during the competition from 8th (Mon.) November 2021.
- Candidates for the first round: Accommodation is provided until the morning after the end of the first round.
- Candidates for the second round: Accommodation is provided until the morning after the end of the second round.
- Candidates for the final: Accommodation is provided until the morning after the end of the final.
※ Exception: Accommodation is not provided to residents of Seoul and Gyeonggi.
b. The KSO ICC secretariat will provide airfare for overseas candidates:
- Overseas candidates from Asia: Max. KRW 600,000
- Overseas candidates from outside of Asia: Max. KRW 1,200,000
※ Submission of payment proof such as electronic tickets and receipts is demanded.
c. Under the Korean Health Authority’s regulations, candidates may be asked to provide documentation such as Covid-19 tests, vaccination certificates etc. and/or may be asked to undergo a period of quarantine after arrival in Korea. Expenses for this quarantine, which is usually held at a government-designated facility (such as a local hotel), will be borne by KSO ICC. Candidates must follow government regulations in order to participate in the competition.
a. The jury guarantees justification and impartiality during the competition.
b. All decisions made by the jury are final and thus cannot be appealed.
c. Any juror having taught a candidate for more than three months during the past two years must declare such teaching relationship and will abstain from voting on the candidate´s performances.
a. Obtaining travel documents, visa and insurance is responsibility of each candidate.
※ Foreign candidates requiring a visa in order to enter the Republic of Korea will be provided with the necessary documents.
b. No liability of any loss or damage to candidate’s belongings and personal illness or injury of the candidate.